JAPAN CLUB BEYOND BORDERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
JAPAN CLUB BEYOND BORDERS

Members-only forum, post in English and/or Japanese!

You are not connected. Please login or register

JET interview

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1JET interview Empty JET interview Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:21 am

cl

Today, I got home from work and to my pleasure, I saw many alumni got JET interviews. Congrats. I'm not sure if you all still use this forum, but I'm just gonna create this thread to give advice on the interview. I have a shit load of resources that you guys can check out. Anyway, post here if you are interested or have any questions.

2JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:49 am

NickAustria

NickAustria
Admin

Thanks bro! Did they ask you anything really crazy or something that caught you off guard? I think I might have some trouble with the asian/filipino questions. And did a bunch of tough guys interview you?

3JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:36 am

cl

I set it up so that they couldn't really bust me out on anything. If you emphasized on how adaptable you are, I don't think they should give you any trouble. However, if they do. Don't get angry. I planned that if they asked me about being black and racism in Japan....I would spin it into "it can't be helped because limited exposure" combo'd with "that's part of the reason I want to work in Japan is to show them the real thing, show them me....yada yada." You just gotta be positive like Martin Luther King and not get butt hurt. They do that on purpose to simulate the real thing.

As for the tough guys, I believe Toure got one. The most he asked him was "You're a business major, you could get a job working in a business in Tokyo. Why be an English teacher?" Luckily, you're not a Business major, so I doubt they will ask you anything that will catch you off guard....because I think the JET program is geared towards HRS majors. lol'd I was only asked like 4 or 5 questions. That's how well I elaborated XD

4JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:01 pm

NickAustria

NickAustria
Admin

I really like your advice. It's a good idea to try and mold everything in your direction. And wow to Toure's question!

5JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:53 am

Shar

Shar
Admin

Thanks Chris! We're still here.

I have a feeling they will probably ask me something about why be an English teacher with a background in photography and banking.. and probably situational question since I'm female, like if a boss makes a pass at me or kids asking personal questions.

One of the sample questions I saw, that I'm not sure what is the most appropriate answer, is what if you are asked to work overtime without being compensated? I'm not sure what the overtime laws are like in Japan.

http://www.mmm-fruit.com

6JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:50 am

BrianBerry

BrianBerry
Admin

They have lists of possible questions that others have received before as well. Chris and I went over them at a Starbucks one time, and if you look at them, there are very clear themes that the questions fall under. If you generally understand your answers to questions within a category, such as "Why are you doing JET" or "How does this apply to your future" then you will absolutely ace the interview.

In my view, it's about stocking up on ammo for those specific categories rather than specific questions.

7JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:40 am

cl

Another thing i worked on was my body language, reaction time, and the length of each answer. I noticed when I was taped myself with toure, that i used too many hand gestures and i looked like I was thinking about everything on the spot. It'S a good idea to tape yourself and be really strict on those little habits you have when you are nervous. I also noticed that I took too long to answer which kind of made it look like I did not prepare for the interview. Try to answer the question with in 5 seconds at most. Also keep your answer within about 2 minutes. I'm not sure what Brian did, but that's how I rolled.

8JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:44 am

NickAustria

NickAustria
Admin

We just had our mock interviews this past Saturday. Overall, I think things went pretty well. We had a lot of douchery and hard questions. After recording myself, I noticed I had the same problem as Chris in that I was using too many hand gestures, and I was fidgeting way too much. I need to control that.

We were wondering if you guys had any advice for keeping a smile on our faces? It feels kind of weird to smile when being asked difficult questions. Any tips?

9JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:18 am

Shar

Shar
Admin

Yeah I think we all just need to "up the genki" a little bit. I found that even though I was smiling, it was a little smile that didn't translate onto video and I looked more =| than =)

The questions are just so serious! It feels odd to smile through what could potentially be "What would you do if you were groped on the train?" type questions.

10JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:11 pm

BrianBerry

BrianBerry
Admin

Already mentioned my chikan experience Don't use my answer as an example lol

11JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:30 pm

NickAustria

NickAustria
Admin

Gemma, Shar, and I have our interviews tomorrow. Just wanted to say thanks for all the help both of you have given us.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAwrafsadf

12JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:02 am

BrianBerry

BrianBerry
Admin

You'll do fine. Go in relaxed, happy, flexible, and do your best.

13JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:48 am

cl

Do that thang

14JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:14 am

NickAustria

NickAustria
Admin

Wow. We were really prepared for our interviews. I don't know who was supposed to be bad cop, but I think I got three good cops. If any of you guys are on MSN or facebook tonight lets talk! I was finally able to remember the questions they asked me. It happened so fast.

Thanks so much for the advice! You guys are the best.

15JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:21 am

Shar

Shar
Admin

I wanted to also chime in and say, thank you! Your advice was very useful and helped us all to prepare.

16JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:32 pm

BrianBerry

BrianBerry
Admin

From what it sounds like, you guys nailed it better than even Chris and I. Some of the questions you said you got were pretty tough though!!

17JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:34 am

cl

Hey there now, Brian. Speak for yourself. I had them in the palm of my hand with a smile that could light a thousand suns. From the point I walked in, no questions were asked and I was automatically let in.

18JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:39 am

NickAustria

NickAustria
Admin

I think I got in cuz I said "Ultraman".. It's not anime, its Ultraman.

19JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:52 am

Shar

Shar
Admin

BrianBerry wrote:From what it sounds like, you guys nailed it better than even Chris and I. Some of the questions you said you got were pretty tough though!!

Oh, definitely some tough questions! But it was important to remember staying calm & composed.

20JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:15 am

NickAustria

NickAustria
Admin

Chris you are right. Now it feels like waiting hell. My older brother pointed out that sometimes you feel like you nailed the interview, but sometimes it just isn't meant to be.

NOOOO. Now I must wait. April april april april

Edit: Chris I was browsing the I think I'm lost forums. Are you PurpleDrank? HAHA if not, its funny cuz he mentions he has a friend that rejected the shortlist because he got accepted to Todai... (Brian?) lol

21JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:28 am

cl

hahahaha, purpledrank? That's one cool name. Sounds like a pretty sexy dude from Sacramento.

22JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:37 am

cl

Also one word of advice. Stay away from ITIL. It's filled with horrible people who waste time post during work instead of uhh...actually doing work.

going on ITIL at this point in time will only make you doubt yourself more

23JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:01 am

NickAustria

NickAustria
Admin

Yeah I thought ITIL was a lot nicer than big daikon (horrendous site), but its the same thing.. only all the mean stuff goes into a different section.

24JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:44 am

BrianBerry

BrianBerry
Admin

JET didn't know I got into Todai till I told them almost a week before leaving cause of Todai being iffy.

Do NOT stress over the JET stuff, absolutely ONE of you will get in I'm CERTAIN. The only thing you need to worry about now are two things. Wedding stuff, and how to manage things if you get put in very different locations. Don't stress. If you want something to really stress about, start worrying about what you'll do AFTER JET.

25JET interview Empty Re: JET interview Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:17 pm

NickAustria

NickAustria
Admin

Yeah I'm over it haha. Plannin the Hawaii trip now, alright!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum