JAPAN CLUB BEYOND BORDERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
JAPAN CLUB BEYOND BORDERS

Members-only forum, post in English and/or Japanese!

You are not connected. Please login or register

JET Placements

+3
cl
Raybuster
NickAustria
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Thu May 27, 2010 7:48 am

cl

I got my gaijin card in like 2 weeks. Internet took two weeks to set up.

27JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Thu May 27, 2010 12:27 pm

Raybuster

Raybuster

It took about 2 weeks to get my gaijin card as well.
Once you get your inkan and bank account set up, which should be within your week or two of arrival, you should be able to get your cell phone. Though I can't remember if you needed your gaijin card at the time you purchase your phone...
Internet...well for me that took a few months, mainly because I was waiting for the service I wanted to open up. It never did, so I had to go with the other service.

http://subtlemayhem.blogspot.com

28JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Thu May 27, 2010 5:50 pm

NickAustria

NickAustria
Admin

What is an inkan?

29JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Thu May 27, 2010 9:29 pm

Raybuster

Raybuster

Your namestamp.
Now you'll get to be Japanese and stamp your signature.

30JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Fri May 28, 2010 2:25 am

Shar

Shar
Admin

All the more motivation to definitely get a smart phone so I can have internet access! I start to shake and have seizures if I'm gone from internet for too long.

http://www.mmm-fruit.com

31JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Sun May 30, 2010 8:24 am

cl

One good thing about not getting your gaijin card immediately is you get first pay check is in cash-money I dunno. I love the feeling of having visible money that I can hide under my mattress.

32JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:09 am

NickAustria

NickAustria
Admin

cl wrote:One good thing about not getting your gaijin card immediately is you get first pay check is in cash-money I dunno. I love the feeling of having visible money that I can hide under my mattress.

Make it rain!

33JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:53 am

cl

NickAustria wrote:
cl wrote:One good thing about not getting your gaijin card immediately is you get first pay check is in cash-money I dunno. I love the feeling of having visible money that I can hide under my mattress.

Make it rain!

I made it rain ($3000 worth of 100 yen coins) on dem hoes.

34JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:21 pm

cl

Have you guys started planning anything for your introduction lesson? I found that pictures of your home, family, friends.....plus a little demonstration/sample of a talent you have, really is effective.

If there's is one thing I've learned is kids freakin' hate sitting there listening to you talk in English for 5-30 minutes. Try to have something prepared to help them remember other than the fact that you are a foreigner

35JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:14 pm

NickAustria

NickAustria
Admin

cl wrote:Have you guys started planning anything for your introduction lesson? I found that pictures of your home, family, friends.....plus a little demonstration/sample of a talent you have, really is effective.

If there's is one thing I've learned is kids freakin' hate sitting there listening to you talk in English for 5-30 minutes. Try to have something prepared to help them remember other than the fact that you are a foreigner

Haven't thought about it yet. I hope the JTE lets me do some windmills or something since you said that is good lol.

36JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:33 am

gem_vidal

gem_vidal

cl wrote:

So, do we mix up the intro with English and Japanese? Or do you mean do the lesson in English, but have visuals/props/etc. so they don't just stare at you and pretend they can understand you? I wonder if I can bring in a piano..or a magic mic haha

Right now I'm just thinking of getting rid of stuff, packing, and getting my documents sent to JET. I'm hoping things will cool down by July and I can think of lessons.

37JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:56 am

cl

gem_vidal wrote:
cl wrote:

So, do we mix up the intro with English and Japanese? Or do you mean do the lesson in English, but have visuals/props/etc. so they don't just stare at you and pretend they can understand you? I wonder if I can bring in a piano..or a magic mic haha

Right now I'm just thinking of getting rid of stuff, packing, and getting my documents sent to JET. I'm hoping things will cool down by July and I can think of lessons.

You should really do it in English. I pretty much stuck to....my name is....I'm from ...I went to #### university and studied....I have 1 brother, 1 sister etc....I like ....My hobbies are...

It was a very basic intro, but because I did it on powerpoint with pictures, video clips, and lots of other visuals, it pretty much blew the kids away.

If there is one thing I suggest you guys do, that I wish I did, it would be take a shit load of video and pictures of your city, family, friends, and life.

38JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:58 am

BrianBerry

BrianBerry
Admin

[quote="cl"][quote="gem_vidal"]
cl wrote:

If there is one thing I suggest you guys do, that I wish I did, it would be take a shit load of video and pictures of your city, family, friends, and life.

This is something a lot of study abroad students forget to bring too. Helps social situations outside just JET lessons actually, so yeah, bring some.

39JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:48 am

gem_vidal

gem_vidal

Will do. Thanks for the advice guys!

40JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:55 am

Shar

Shar
Admin

Thanks for the advice! I haven't thought too much about it yet - I'm like Gemma, focusing on getting all the paperwork done, getting rid of things, and buying things I'll need to pack and bring over.

I did pick up the "Images of America" book of my hometown which shows what it looked like in the 1900s and was planning on taking pictures of what it looks like now modern-day as well. Good to hear that PowerPoint blew them away too... after working in an office for 2 years, I've gotten pretty good at it.

I need to pick up California trinkets for my omiyage also. I'm going to try to bring some Jelly Belly candy because the factory is in my hometown, but I need to double check if it'll be a problem with customs because it's food.

41JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:00 am

cl

Shar, I think the would absolutely love if you showed them your hand stuff animals made of win and all that is good.

42JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:32 pm

BrianBerry

BrianBerry
Admin

Sealed candy isn't a problem. Jelly belly = great omiyage in Japan. If you can, when you go, see if they have the Japanese explanation cards.

43JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Shar

Shar
Admin

Chris - already planning on bringing something in

Brian - Thanks! I totally forgot they have multi-language cards at these factories. I'll definitely have to check out if they have Japanese available.

44JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:20 am

BrianBerry

BrianBerry
Admin

I recommend extras like pop rocks, black licorice, rootbeer candy... bwahah

45JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:19 am

gem_vidal

gem_vidal

BrianBerry wrote:I recommend extras like pop rocks, black licorice, rootbeer candy... bwahah

That's...kinda mean..but I'd still like to see their faces when they try it haha

I was going to do the Jelly Belly thing too Shar! Or maybe stuff down in Old Sac, which I haven't really explored...I went with Chris and Toure to get those Blue Diamond nuts, did those go well Chris? They're really good even I bought some!

It's good to know that packaged food is okay.

46JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:38 am

Shar

Shar
Admin

Reeses Pieces is another candy that they don't sell in Japan. But chocolates are harder in the summer time since they melt. Maybe during winter break?

47JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:51 pm

cl

Yeah, Gem. They loved the Almonds. It's actually perfect if you're from Sacramento. What they loved even better was the Napa valley wine I brought! They drank it at my 歓迎会. Alcohol pretty much puts you in their in group. If you actually drink it with them, then you will be their BFF.

About any chocolate, it's okay to bring it. The ride to the hotel is air conditioned. The hotel is air conditioned. The air plane is air conditioned....and your house should be air conditioned, so I don't see a problem with transporting it, I did.

The only problem was bringing enough for everyone. I have 30 people in my BOE and 30 people at my school. You should ask your pred or supervisor how many people you should bring omiyage for.

48JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:51 pm

BrianBerry

BrianBerry
Admin

I've brought See's chocolate three times as omiyage. Never had problems with it melting as long as you keep it in a reasonable temperature area that isn't +30

49JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:06 am

Raybuster

Raybuster

I brought Jelly Belly for my BoE and base school teachers and it worked great. I got the Principal and BoE head something different for themselves, CA team baseball caps. I got my supervisor Michael Jackson's Greatest Hits CD. They all worked awesome.
I'm pretty sure you'll be fine so long as you get a little something for everyone. Doesn't have to be too big. And like Chris said, double check with your pred how many people you should account for. I only had 10 people at my BoE and 18 teachers at my base school, so mines wasn't too difficult.
Another good idea to go on is maybe try bringing goodies that you can hand out individually to your co-workers. For example, individually wrapped Recess cups can be handed out to each teacher. If you have something that teachers can just pick out of (like a batch of Jelly Bellies), you should have a break room to leave them in. Teachers always leave omiyage in the break room.

On the topic of intro lessons, I tried to keep mines in as much (simple) English as possible, with lots (AND LOTS) of pictures for enhancement. At the end of my intro (which my JTE wanted me to design for a total of 50 long minutes), I threw in a game to get the class back from confusion-from-too-much-English zone. Also, they'd LOVE it if you show/perform what's special and unique about yourself. I told them I loved music, so I played some American hip-hop music and did a small dance performance. They were thrilled!

Also...come loaded with prizes for the students. Every student of every age (including high school, apparently) LOVES stickers. It's totally different from the kids back home. Head over to the 99 cent store and just stock up on fun stickers to hand out as prizes. What I do right now is I custom make stickers by designing sheets on Photoshop and printing them out on label paper. My students try harder on their games just for a chance at some stickers.

50JET Placements - Page 2 Empty Re: JET Placements Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:12 am

NickAustria

NickAustria
Admin

Hey guys. I got my first pick, Hamamatsu city. I'll be teaching at Hamamatsu Kita High School- no visit schools or anything. I'm about 10 mins walking distance from a JR station. Brazilian food here I come!

I have a question for you guys already in Japan. What is cool with high schoolers these days in terms of movies, dramas, tv personalities, etc? I want to be in the know with the kiddies lol. Thanks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum