JAPAN CLUB BEYOND BORDERS

Members-only forum, post in English and/or Japanese!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Japanese Vs. European languages

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Japanese Vs. European languages on Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm going to be going to Europe from the start of August and once again, this thought jumped onto my mind. Just how hard is Japanese compared to European languages? I've never put any effort (or had any interest) in learning a European language such as French, German (I guess I should say Latin-based), so are there any of those on here that can give me an idea?

Let's say on a ten point scale...

View user profile

2 Re: Japanese Vs. European languages on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:36 am

Shar

Admin
I haven't studied European languages before other than a couple weeks of Spanish. I had a hard time with Spanish, but I think because I was a kid and was not really interested at the time. If you have experience with one Latin-based / Romance Language, then picking up another is usually not difficult. I have a friend who became fluent in French and also speaks very good Italian.

View user profile http://www.mmm-fruit.com

3 Re: Japanese Vs. European languages on Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:07 am

Obviously if you put time into anything you'll learn it, but I was always curious about which aspects of Japanese specifically slow down English native speakers as opposed to romance languages if they do in fact learn them faster.

View user profile

4 Re: Japanese Vs. European languages on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:28 pm

For native English speakers, learning Latin-based languages is alot easier because the writing system is about the same and some words are similar or sound similar.

When I was studying Spanish in high school it was easier than Japanese because I'm fluent in both English and Tagalog/Pilipino. The problem was I wasn't interested in the culture. Even now I can understand some Spanish. Some Italian and French words are about the same too. So studying a language can be easier depending on your background and interest.

View user profile

5 Re: Japanese Vs. European languages on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:16 am

That's a really good point. I have no interest really in any culture aspects in Europe (despite being there RIGHT NOW) Maybe I see them as too similar to be worth the effort to explore the interesting differences?

The hostel people I've met up with, and others along the way kind of joke that they want to avoid doing what I'm doing because it is the most depressing sort of trip in the world focusing only on war memory and a couple tourist sights along the way.

I have a strong interest in East Asian culture, but outside that... meh, it doesn't seem that interesting to me over in Europe other than the periods of horrid tragedy.

View user profile

6 Re: Japanese Vs. European languages on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:29 pm

I think its because we are all too familiar with European culture. It's about the same as here in the US. While East Asian cultures varies and are very unique on its own.

I am considering studying spanish again just because all my siblings are studying it in school now but I want to learn the Spain's spanish. I honestly believe that latin american' spanish have ruined the most beautiful language.

Oh, and thanks for letting me know not to go on trips with you. It's too depressing to just go see war memorials.

View user profile

7 Re: Japanese Vs. European languages on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:19 pm

You said you want to learn Japanese for getting into the fashion industry in Japan right? Why not just focus on Japanese even MORE?

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum