JAPAN CLUB BEYOND BORDERS

Members-only forum, post in English and/or Japanese!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heisig's Remembering the Kanji

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:35 am

So I should finish the entire book, and then learn the Japanese readings? Or should I look up the Japanese readings after each chapter? I'm at 94 now.. going at a snail's pace.

View user profile

2 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:06 am

Finish the entire book. Get the shitty unhappy work out of the way before you have fun.

Also snail's pace is the best pace. You have got the time.

View user profile

3 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

I don't even know where I'm at in Heisig. I just do it, but I have to say I've already seen improvements when reading Japanese books. I may not know how to 'read' it in Japanese, but I know the meaning and I get the gist of what the word is. So keep going Nick!

View user profile

4 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks guys! Your replies are definitely motivating. I'm using Anki to review what I've learned. Seems like it's helping.

View user profile

5 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:55 pm

Readings sometimes are very word specific actually, which is annoying as hell. Chris is right, focus only on the meaning. Keep pushing and get it all done. You can probably get 30 or so done a day new or more at your point with no real trouble.

Again, as Chris said, get the shitty stuff out of the way. I finished and am reviewing now, but it is a relief to have that behind me (kind of) for now. It opens up more doors and ability to remember and learn than you will realize at this point.

Get them done You can do more than you realize.

View user profile

6 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Tue May 25, 2010 3:34 am

172 ><

View user profile

7 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Tue May 25, 2010 4:09 pm

Bah, you can do a hell of a lot faster than that! PUSH! PUSH LIKE A PREGNANT GOAT DANGLING OVER AN INDUSTRIAL SAW!

View user profile

8 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Wed May 26, 2010 6:41 am

I really pushed today and got to 222. It's easier to learn more now that I have a lot to build off of. It looks like it gets quicker too later on.

View user profile

9 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Wed May 26, 2010 12:03 pm

Kind of like a bell curve I'd say, at least for me. I was fast generally till around 1500, then I had to slow down a bit to give myself review time. You should be able to cover plenty starting from now. The amount you did today was perfect I think. Nice work Just remember to do the anki reviews... absolutely CRITICAL

View user profile

10 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Fri May 28, 2010 9:22 pm

I use anki, but I need to do it everyday so reviews show up more consistently. I just reviewed everything I learned so far manually and got 253/268. Not bad. The ones I messed up were minor mistakes too.

View user profile

11 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Sun May 30, 2010 8:20 am

NickAustria wrote:I use anki, but I need to do it everyday so reviews show up more consistently. I just reviewed everything I learned so far manually and got 253/268. Not bad. The ones I messed up were minor mistakes too.

I'm proud of you.

View user profile

12 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Mon May 31, 2010 12:54 am

NickAustria wrote:I use anki, but I need to do it everyday so reviews show up more consistently. I just reviewed everything I learned so far manually and got 253/268. Not bad. The ones I messed up were minor mistakes too.

That's a very good track record. Even if you can use Anki every other day, keep pushing, and try to fit in more new kanji. You're track record seems to be just fine so you can do more I think easy.

View user profile

13 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Mon May 31, 2010 2:23 am

Hey guys, don't forget to pace yourself. This isn't a race. If you rush through at record breaking speed, you might be the boss for a few days. However, you will inevitably start forgetting and with the massive amount of review that will come afterwards, you will probably start hating Japanese. Doing 100+ may be hard, but retaining 100+ is freakin' hell. Anyway, pace yourselves.

http://blog.anokorok.com/2010/05/2000-kanji-in-two-weeks-a-follow-up/

View user profile

14 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Mon May 31, 2010 8:44 am

Hehe, I wanna get him hating Japanese before he gets here XD Just to be evil.

Nick: "Whew, what a long plane ride. What's that sign say... OH SHIT KANJI AGAIN! NOOOO!!"

View user profile

15 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:09 am

cl wrote:Hey guys, don't forget to pace yourself. This isn't a race. If you rush through at record breaking speed, you might be the boss for a few days. However, you will inevitably start forgetting and with the massive amount of review that will come afterwards, you will probably start hating Japanese. Doing 100+ may be hard, but retaining 100+ is freakin' hell. Anyway, pace yourselves.

http://blog.anokorok.com/2010/05/2000-kanji-in-two-weeks-a-follow-up/

Definitely! I honestly enjoy learning the kanji, but that's probably because I'm going at a slow pace. It's like reading a book I guess.

View user profile

16 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:05 am

Just push. It's the only way to find your limit, and to raise it.

View user profile

17 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:16 pm

How do you guys deal with missing a few days? Do you just bust through the 500+ reviews you have to do?

View user profile

18 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:15 pm

I have to review a lot, and then just learn the amount for a regular day. Probably slow, but it works for me in terms of retention.

View user profile

19 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:56 am

As for me, I've been overwhelmed by other assignments the past month so I have like 700 reviews backed up. Some of those are a mix of very old cards I know that I can breeze through, some aren't though. I'm just chipping away at it, bit at a time, I'm not trying to just "get them out of the way."

I'd say I'm more focused on the sentences that I have in anki now, rather than the kanji since I'm trying to get my reading up.

The one benefit to my brutal commute back and forth between college is that I can get some reading done, and kanji/sentences reviews.

View user profile

20 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:11 am

I need updates. Where you at, nick? What number are you up to?

View user profile

21 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:53 pm

I haven't moved up very much. I have been traveling to LA and Vegas and a ton of JET events. I need to get caught up starting monday.

View user profile

22 Re: Heisig's Remembering the Kanji on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:11 am

Get to 1000 at least before you leave, I'm 100% certain you could do that.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum