JAPAN CLUB BEYOND BORDERS

Members-only forum, post in English and/or Japanese!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why J-music?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Why J-music? on Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:31 am

I'm curious. Why are you are a fan of Japanese music? How is it different from music in the states? I am pretty sure none of us can pick up every single word without looking at a lyrics sheet. Why do you listen to music you can't understand?

Please discuss. lol

View user profile

2 Re: Why J-music? on Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:09 pm

I used to like J-pop, but not so much anymore. Then again, I don't like a lot of music even in the US haha.

View user profile

3 Re: Why J-music? on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:12 pm

Unlike others, I never liked J-pop at all. I liked some instrumental music from games that are from Japan and a few enka songs but that's about it I guess. I never saw music about the lyrics to begin with, so understanding the lyrics has little importance to me for the mood of the music.

View user profile

4 Re: Why J-music? on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:19 am

I never mentioned j-pop though....I said Japanese music.

It's funny how the two people on this forum who don't listen to Japanese music replied....where is everyone else!?! Ray! Gem! Amber! Ya'll need to get on this.

View user profile

5 Re: Why J-music? on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:47 am

Haha I won't lie. A big reason I listen to Japanese music is because I have easy-to-find access to Japanese music links, whether it be pop, hip-hop, acoustic guitar, experimental, etc. =P

I don't just listen to Japanese music. I still listen to American and Korean. But it's just that all the online communities out there made it easier for me to find different kinds of music (from Japan).
I guess thanks to the easy-to-find links, I found artists that I liked and ones I'm willing to keep track with.

View user profile http://subtlemayhem.blogspot.com

6 Re: Why J-music? on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:54 am

I only mentioned J-pop as a part of the jmusic, and not encompassing all of Japanese music itself. I don't have a life so I'm always on here =/

View user profile

7 Re: Why J-music? on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:19 pm

J-pop seems to be the most common of the music that is brought up, or anime music stuff. At least it was in the Japanese classes, so that was the first thing I cleared, then went on to the rest.

Gemma's next!

View user profile

8 Re: Why J-music? on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:52 pm

I just thought of two bands I like. 9mm Parabellum Bullet. I have no idea what they say but they sound really cool. I also like Asian Kung Fu Generation.

View user profile

9 Re: Why J-music? on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:28 am

Shar

Admin
I used to listen to J-pop a lot when I was younger, and I think moreso because the bands were Japanese and I liked the bubblegum sound of it all. I've since thrown away my burned CDs of most of that stuff because I'll be honest, I'm really not an Utada fan.

But there's some Japanese music that I really love - again, it's not necessarily the song lyrics or meaning (in some cases it may be) but the overall sound. Fantastic Plastic Machine, Pizzicato Five, Cibo Matto (NY band actually, but Japanese ethnicity). They get lumped into a category 'shibuya-kei' so I do try to seek out other Japanese artists because it's a Japanese music genre, but it's influenced by bossa nova, jazz, pop.

There's also a couple of Japanese rock bands that I like. One of my favorite bands is GO!GO!7188 and I like a lot of their older stuff which I would generalize as surf rock. But I also listen to The Ventures which are a similar genre.

Hm, but I'm a bit out of the norm. As Nick puts it, I listen to "weird stuff".

View user profile http://www.mmm-fruit.com

10 Re: Why J-music? on Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:22 am

How do most of you get your Japanese music? That is, the non-J pop stuff. When I say "how" I don't mean how do you download it after you hear it, but more of how do you try or sample new songs and find out about them.

Ray recently let me on to Jero, and I have to say some of the songs I like.

View user profile

11 Re: Why J-music? on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:25 am

Shar

Admin
Recommendations from friends. I have a couple of friends who listens to the same type of stuff as me so I always ask him for recommendations. Using 'similar artist' searches via music wikis or shopping sites.

Or finding compilation CDs which they are on with various artists and checking out those other bands sometimes. Since the compilation CDs usually feature bands of similar genre/sound.

I used to download music off of Soulseek, and they had essentially chat rooms based on genre. You could see how many files a user was sharing, so I would browse the shared files of those who had hundreds of songs available and browse their library for band names then listen to samples online. I haven't used soulseek in forever, but these days, Youtube 'similar video' results sometimes also help.

View user profile http://www.mmm-fruit.com

12 Re: Why J-music? on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:31 am

Yay, Japanese music. Masuyama-sensei likes this guy and recommended me a few videos. Can't say I share her tastes though lol

View user profile

13 Re: Why J-music? on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:13 pm

BrianBerry wrote:How do most of you get your Japanese music? That is, the non-J pop stuff. When I say "how" I don't mean how do you download it after you hear it, but more of how do you try or sample new songs and find out about them.

Ray recently let me on to Jero, and I have to say some of the songs I like.

The same way I download them haha.
Download links I find usually come from online communities that discuss these different artists. They also keep up to date with who's new, similar artists, who's whooping butt on the Oricon, etc.

View user profile http://subtlemayhem.blogspot.com

14 Re: Why J-music? on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Hehe, or I can just harass you for recommendations. That is working so far lol

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum