JAPAN CLUB BEYOND BORDERS

Members-only forum, post in English and/or Japanese!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Driver's License

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Driver's License on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:07 am

How did you guys handle this? Did you get the international license first before coming to Japan? Just curious so I haven't looked it up yet. Thanks!

View user profile

2 Re: Driver's License on Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:50 pm

yeah, basically, you just go to AAA and pay 15 bucks for an intl dv. You can set it for the day you get to Japan if you even need to drive. I don't need to drive, but I dont feel like riding a bike in 99% humidity, or torrential rains. XD

View user profile

3 Re: Driver's License on Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:51 pm

also it only lasts for one year. After one year you have to get a j-license which is kind of a pain in the ass lol

View user profile

4 Re: Driver's License on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Shar

Admin
Did you mean the DMV? Since not everyone has insurance through AAA.

View user profile http://www.mmm-fruit.com

5 Re: Driver's License on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:26 am

I can't get it because I'm on a college student visa and I don't believe they can use cars, but haven't checked since driving in Tokyo is hell anyway.

I don't believe you need to be with AAA it get the international license though... Chris can confirm that though.

View user profile

6 Re: Driver's License on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:46 am

Don't need to have insurance with AAA.....

Remember....I had no job for 7 months before leaving XD You think I could afford AAA??? haha

Anyway, you pay a little bit more for a license if you are not a member. Dont trip.

View user profile

7 Re: Driver's License on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:47 am

Brian, you can't buy a car unless you have a parking spot

View user profile

8 Re: Driver's License on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:33 pm

cl wrote:Brian, you can't buy a car unless you have a parking spot

... this does makes sense... lol

View user profile

9 Re: Driver's License on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:22 am

how much is car insurance usually?

View user profile

10 Re: Driver's License on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:19 pm

Koji Sorano wrote:how much is car insurance usually?

Darn, never actually thought about this question. I'm guessing slightly less than the US, but I have no idea actually. Chris would know.

View user profile

11 Re: Driver's License on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:11 pm

I paid about $60 a month for mines, but I recently upped it to full coverage, making it about $80.

View user profile http://subtlemayhem.blogspot.com

12 Re: Driver's License on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:07 pm

Raybuster wrote:I paid about $60 a month for mines, but I recently upped it to full coverage, making it about $80.

Oh okay, not too bad. Its been 128 here in the states, so this should be okay.

View user profile

13 Re: Driver's License on Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:48 am

Going to take my Japanese DL test on Wednesday. Wish me luck. From what I've researched it's pretty damn strict, unless California, where anyone with beating heart can get a licence.

View user profile

14 Re: Driver's License on Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:15 pm

Raybuster wrote:I paid about $60 a month for mines, but I recently upped it to full coverage, making it about $80.

Stop hitting people lol

View user profile

15 Re: Driver's License on Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:11 am

God, I failed my J-license test!! I think my proctor was born with a stick up his ass because I made only 1 minor mistake!!!

View user profile

16 Re: Driver's License on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:42 am

I don't think I've ever heard of ANYONE passing it one go actually... it could be rigged that way. :/ Never know.

Or he could have just been a racist prick since you weren't Japanese?

View user profile

17 Re: Driver's License on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:54 am

Speaking of which... what IS the test like anyway?

View user profile

18 Re: Driver's License on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:25 am

BTW. I got my international license at AAA for $15 bucks. It was painless.

View user profile

19 Re: Driver's License on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:51 am

Yeah, but only lasts so long Then you have to suffer like Chris it sounds like.

View user profile

20 Re: Driver's License on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Yeah I know. Just confirming it's still $15.

View user profile

21 Re: Driver's License on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:12 am

Oh XD Sorry hehe

View user profile

22 Re: Driver's License on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:07 am

The way you get your J-license depends on where you are. Compared to friends in other prefectures, I think Chiba's procedures are quite good, but kill your wallet whether you pass on the first try or not.

Basically you go there from 8-8:30 or 1-1:30 (I dunno why but the window only accepts paperwork for those times only), give them your paper work and identification, then they give you an application, then you fill it out and show them, then they tell you to go across the hall and buy 2000円 worth of stamps. Then you turn it back into them and schedule your appointment, which can't be on the next day. So basically, you use a whole day just to turn in the application.

The next day, you bring your paper work again, and you go and take your test.

The test is done on a closed course, with a set route. They pretty much test you to see how well you follow JAPANESE rules(aka the way the proctor wants you to drive, which may vary). Supposedly, I didn't follow Japanese rules, so I failed....it was a sad day in the Lamb household. I failed an automatic transmission driving test despite having 10 years of driving experience IN CALIFORINIA, might I add >.<

Anyway, if you pass, you pay another 2000円 or so to get the license. lol

BTW, it costs me 6000円 for a round trip ticket from the inaka, every time. Every time I fail, it's a deep blow to my wallet....

View user profile

23 Re: Driver's License on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:57 pm

Holy crap that would add up... Hope you pass next time just so you can get that crap out of the way.

View user profile

24 Re: Driver's License on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:27 am

Fuck! Finally got my license! Those of you who chose to stay another year on JET or whatever you're doing in Japan. I guarantee the J-license experience will be the most stressful shit you will ever deal with EVER. After this, I feel I can even apply for grad school. lol

View user profile

25 Re: Driver's License on Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:48 pm

I can't believe it took you that long... It sounds like it was just the test people being total asses. Clearly you know what the hell your doing after driving in Japan already, AND driving in California for how long?

Sounds like a total money making scam.

And yeah, apply for grad school

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum