JAPAN CLUB BEYOND BORDERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
JAPAN CLUB BEYOND BORDERS

Members-only forum, post in English and/or Japanese!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Would you ever consider working in Japan (long term)?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

BrianBerry

BrianBerry
Admin

This is a question that comes up for almost everyone who's studied Japanese seriously I think.

If you ever had the opportunity and language ability, would you consider long term work in Japan?

I'm mostly considering this outside of the work of the typical English teacher or specialty college professor. Even those professions your rights are limited due to various factors, as well as your options.

What type of work would you be looking at and why? What factors would assure you that you do not want to work in Japan?

As for myself, from all the friends I know the demands and drain on your very LIFE are usually far too high for me to consider a regular office job in Japan. There is a huge difference between a "hard-worker" and a sacrificial lamb/sucker who works endless like a slave. I want to have time for my family in the future, I want to be able to BREATH and take a break from work sometimes (yeah I do that sometimes... really!), and I want to have options and rights. I just don't see that at most jobs in Japan. If it does exist, then I might consider it. The only job I'm really looking for is to teach at a ryuugakusei center at a Japanese university international student center. Even then, I am still speaking with teachers about the sort of job that is behind the scenes.

cl

I'm not sure what you are talking about Brian. I think your views on working in Japan are a bit exaggerated. "There is a huge difference between a "hard-worker" and a sacrificial lamb/sucker who works endless like a slave".I think you'll find that in any office job no matter where you are. The main difference I saw when I worked in Japan was...ummmm....it was in Japanese? The only time I've seen someone come close to complaining about how much they worked was someone who worked for Lehman Bros....which is understandable because they have to bust their asses at international banks. I even worked full time and the only reason I was tired was because speaking Japanese all the time took a lot out of me, not the work.

"I want to be able to BREATH and take a break from work sometimes"
Ummm....people I'm worked with had vacation.... What kind of "break" are you talking about? How long are you talking about?

Last edited by cl on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:45 am; edited 2 times in total

BrianBerry

BrianBerry
Admin

cl wrote: The main difference I saw when I worked in Japan was...ummmm....it was in Japanese?

So you think the only difference between working in Japan and the US is that it is in Japanese?

Last edited by BrianBerry on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total

NickAustria

NickAustria
Admin

I'd consider it. I'd also have to weight the opportunity costs though, but if it was more good than bad then I would definitely do it.

cl

On the "don't want to work" thing I said. I don't want to get into it on here.

And yes, the biggest hurdle I found working in Japan was the Japanese. Of course with any job there's going to be stuff that you have to adapt to....in the case of working in Japan, you'd have to get used to the Japanese work environment and just general culture, which is not impossible to do. I just feel that the people who complain about working in Japan or ones that constantly bad mouth it, despite having legit jobs, just don't want to/can't adapt. Remember, you're in a foreign country where people may have a completely different mind set than what you're used to. If you can't handle it, I don't suggest trying to work there long term.

cl

NickAustria wrote:I'd consider it. I'd also have to weight the opportunity costs though, but if it was more good than bad then I would definitely do it.

I agree. If it sounds like a good deal, then by all means do it.

I'm always reading about people complaining about the work conditions in Japan, and I can't help but think that these people did not do enough research on the companies they were hired by. They were just desperate to get to Japan, which is an awful mind set to have when getting there because a person is more prone to get pwnd like that. My advice would be to do exactly what Nick said and consider the opportunity costs.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum